From an Easter Egg in the Buckaroo Bonzai DVD comes a recipe for Chicken in a Watermelon. Why? Who cares, that’s why. Mad delicious, and ridiculous to boot. Your friends and family will not believe it.
Chicken in a Watermelon
Total time : 5 hours
1 very large watermelon
1 roaster chicken, about 5 to 6 pounds
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 tablespoons chilled butter.
- Cut a 1/4-inch-thick horizontal slice off bottom of watermelon, so it won’t roll. Discard. Cut off the top third of the melon horizontally, then scoop out seeds and enough of the pulp from both remain parts to make room for the chicken.
- Season cavity of chicken with salt and pepper. Insert lemon pricked with fork, along with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce. Brush outside of chicken with remaining soy sauce, and sprinkle with five-spice powder,
- Place chicken in the larger part of the melon, and position the other piece of melon on top, securing with long skewers.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and bake 2 hours. Then, reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake 2 1/2 hours longer.
- Place watermelon on a tray and show it to guests. Return it to kitchen: remove chicken and carve. With a ladle, remove juices from watermelon and reduce in skillet until thickened; whisk in cold butter and spoon over chicken before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
Note, orient melon on side instead of upright. This is really delicious. An absolutely unique flavor to experience.